Agate – Gems – a Quick Look at Related Superstitions
By Twinty Karat adapted from an original article by Chitraparna Sinha.
Gems are not only ornamental stones but they have curative powers that attribute to the increase of psychic power of a human being. They can be worn in jewelry, as amulets or can be just carried loosely.
The superstitions connected with gems are very ancient and some are still prevalent today. Sometimes they are even grounded into loose powder and used as medicines. They are said to possess magical powers.
Some Gems and Superstitions Surrounding Them
- Agate – It is related to health and longevity. It wards off evil spirits. Agate acts as protector against storms, fever, lightning and headaches. It is said to increase fertility and promotes athletic prowess. Agate is a lucky stone for lovers. While farming or gardening, it should be worn by the farmer or tied to the plough. This ensures a good yield of the field or garden.
Back in ancient times, this stone was believed to confer the power of invisibility on its owner and to turn enemies’ swords against themselves. Lucky agate stone offers protection against the Evil Eye and storms, plus grants its wearer an eloquent tongue.
In addition agate is said to cure fever, poisonous bites, and stings. As if that’s not enough agate luck goes on to improve eyesight, and make its wearer lucky in love and athletic competitions. Agate also promotes fertility.
If you believe agate is a lucky stone consider a lucky agate bracelet or lucky agate charm as an easy way to protect yourself and conceivably sprinkle you with some of the aforementioned goodness.
11 Gemstones with Favorable Powers to Help People
- Amber – it is believed that amber if worn by a woman it makes her smells good and desirable by her lover. Amber is said to attract compassion and love.
- Amethyst – it is the stone for simplicity and sincerity. It prevents one from falling in love foolishly.
- Aquamarine is the gem stone for wisdom, fame and success.
- Beryl is the gem that is said to attract people of the opposite sex towards oneself. It is also known the gem for love.
- Carbuncle – The superstition related to the gem called carbuncle is that it attracts success and fame. It becomes faint and dim in anticipation of death or danger.
- Carnelian is supposed to diminish fear and increase the self confidence of its wearer.
- Cat’s eye is the soother of the nerves and it helps in increasing good fortune. Coral protects from evil. It promotes fertility in a woman and prevents domestic quarrels.
- Diamond is the gem stone for good fortune and victory. It makes a marriage stable and lasting. They say that if an emerald is placed below the tongue, it helps to overcome evil luck. It is also believed that touching an emerald helps the people suffering from blindness.
- Garnet, another gem stone, is believed to bring cheerfulness and happiness to one’s life if bought lawfully.
- Jade is the gem for men’s fertility and brings success in the games of chance like gambling and horse racing.
- Jasper To conjure rain, jasper is used.
More gem and gemstone superstitions
Health, fame and love are ensured with the gem stone malachite. Bad dreams and quarrels are induced by the stone onyx. Opals are very lucky gemstones for those born in October. Pearls are unlucky for marriages and if used in an engagement ring will lead to an unhappy married life.
It is another superstition that the gem stone ruby guards against evil and dangers. Sapphire is the stone for health, wealth and love. It is the gem stone for the virgins. Topaz is the stone for loyalty and happiness. It can turn sad people happy. Turquoise is the gem for prevention of accidents and falls. It guards against evil eye. It strengthens relationships.
Zircon – The superstition with zircon is that it has powers over robbers.
Thus, this is the vast world of gems and superstitions. The science of gemology not withstanding these gemstones hold more, a lot more than good looks and exquisite jewelry fashion. These gemstones open a virtual world of ancient superstitions and beliefs, many of which are still believed and followed today.
Here in the United States it doesn’t seem like much thought is given to superstitions of most gemstones. However, in some other countries that is not the case. If you live in a county where any of the above beliefs, or others not mentioned is prevalent, please leave a comment. We’d like to know of any customs we are not familiar with or customs still followed concerning lucky or even unlucky gemstones.
Copyright © 2010 – 2021 WishGoodLuck.com