Moon Luck – Is your Luck Eclipsed by the Moon?
New Moon (by Stephanie Meyer), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (by J.K Rowling), Bram Stoker’s Dracula, M. Night Shyamalan’s The Village or take any other film that features vampires, werewolves, human to animal transformations, and witchcraft, the moon invariably appears in at least one scene.
Since antiquity, the moon has this unexplained aura. It is associated with femininity, fertility, romance, gravitational pull, witchcraft, and other sinister things. Have you ever thought whether the same moon we see every night has any effect on your life?
Does the moon influence your existence? Does it bring good luck or bad luck? If yes, then how?
A Few Superstitions about The Moon and Luck
* The moon light replenishes the earth when it comes near and empties of its light when it recedes – Pliny’s Natural History
* Archbishop Theodore in the translation of Historia Ecclesistica says it is unfortunate to bleed when the light of the moon and the pull of the tide increase.
* If a man is born when the moon is one day old, he shall be long lived and wealthy.* If a child is born on the spring of the moon then the child will be healthy; if the child is born when the moon is waning then the child won’t live long – Discoverie of Witchcraft.
* The easiest delivery a woman can have is when it is full moon and the hardest labor during new moon period.
* Never conduct any business deals or business financial transaction during lunar eclipse. It brings tremendous bad luck to the business and the people involved.
* Folklore books between 1878 and 1938 suggested that if a child is born in the interval between an old moon and the first appearance of the new one, that the child will never live to reach the age of puberty or the baby will need special care to survive.
* It is a believed that people cannot die when the moon is rising, and watchers know well that a dying person cannot ‘go’ until the moon has passed the full phase.
* Enter into a new house or carry your wife over the threshold only during a full moon to bring luck in domestic life.
* To secure a prosperous change of habitation requires three circumstances – the moon should be waxing, the tide be flowing, and that the wind blow on the back of the person who removes their blouse or shirt.
* Hair and nails should always be cut during the waning of the moon.
* According to the English almanacs, it proves worthwhile to kill hogs when the moon is increasing because the bacon would prove better in boiling otherwise, if the hog is killed in the wane of the moon then it shrinks on boiling!
* It is believed the phases of moon have influence on human madness or mental retardation. At full moon, the intensity of madness increases while at other times it recedes. Read Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre or Shakespeare’s Othello. Although reluctantly, psychiatrists tend to agree with this phenomenon.
The effects of the moon exceed good luck or bad luck. As Mark Twain aptly said, “Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody”. Beliefs about the moon are not merely superstitious or myths; they do have some reality to them.
Copyright © WishGoodLuck.com