Luck Definition – a Rather Complicated set of Meanings or Possibilities for Luck
Luck: Understanding Luck and Improving the Odds
Barrie Dolnick and Anthony Davidson set out to study luck and decipher how it works. In this insightful and engaging book, they share the secrets they’ve uncovered so you can use luck more effectively in your day-to-day life. Where does luck originate? Does one need to be “born lucky” in order to be lucky? Answering these and many other pressing questions, Dolnick and Davidson investigate both ancient and scientific approaches to luck.
1. the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person’s life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities: With my luck I’ll probably get pneumonia.
2. good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance: He had no luck finding work.
3. a combination of circumstances, events, etc., operating by chance to bring good or ill to a person: She’s had nothing but bad luck all year.
4. some object on which good fortune is supposed to depend: This rabbit’s foot is my luck.
5. luck into / onto, to meet, acquire, become, etc., by good luck: She lucked into a great job.
6. luck out, to have an instance or run of exceptionally good luck: He lucked out when he made a hole in one during the tournament.
7. luck upon, to come across by chance: to luck upon a profitable investment.
8. down on one’s luck, in unfortunate circumstances; unlucky: She hated to see her old friend so down on her luck.
9. in luck, lucky; fortunate: We were in luck, for the bakery was still open.
10. luck of the draw, the luck one has in or as if in drawing cards.
11. out of luck, unlucky; unfortunate: When it comes to getting World Series tickets, we’re usually out of luck.
12. push one’s luck, Informal . to try to make too much of an opportunity; go too far. Also, crowd one’s luck.
1400–50; late Middle English luk < Middle Dutch luc, aphetic form of gelucke; cognate with G. Glück cite: "Luck." Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 05 Jan. 2012.
- Wife – Marriage Luck
- Opal – Lucky and Unlucky Jewel (now on SuperstitionLane.com)
- Acorn – For Good Luck
- Malachite Promotes Luck (now on SuperstitionLane.com)
- Indian Superstitions (moved to IndiaAura.com)
- Annaprashan Ceremony (moved to IndiaAura.com)
- Unlucky 13? (now on SuperstitionLane.com)
- Broken Mirrors – 7 Years Bad Luck
- The Evil Eye (now on SuperstitionLane.com)
- Swastika – Bad / Good?
- Khamsa Protective Amulet